WMP Tag Plus Version History
Version 2.2 (November 29, 2013)
- Fixed: when trying to access the WMP Tag Plus settings while the
plug-in was disabled, either the settings didn't appear or Windows Media
- Fixed: possible broken Apple Lossless support on Windows 8. Special
thanks to Ralph Knox for reporting.
- Fixed: WMP Tag Plus didn't retrieve the duration of MPEG-4 files not
containing any tags.
- Fixed: "Failed to set data for 'PerceivedType'" error on Windows
Media Player startup in some circumstances.
- When installing WMP Tag Plus on Windows 7 or 8 with Windows Media
Player Plus! already installed, MPEG-4 tag support was still disabled by
default to prevent compatibility issues present in older versions of WMP Tag
Plus. Because these issues have already been fixed in WMP Tag Plus 2.0,
MPEG-4 tag support is now always enabled by default.
- Updated the included TagLib library to
This, for one, means that WMP Tag Plus can now also read the audio
properties (duration, bitrate etc.) of Musepack SV8 files.
Version 2.1 (June 2, 2012)
- Fixed: crash when closing Windows Media Player after it had been
opened by double-clicking a video file in Windows 7's Video library.
Special thanks to Lieuandy for reporting and for testing the fix.
Version 2.0 (May 13, 2012)
- New: support for reading/writing embedded album art in FLAC, Vorbis
and MPEG-4 files.
- New: library album art support for all formats. This also fixes the
"Album art can't be changed when a song from the album is in use" error
message when pasting album art in Windows Media Player 12's library.
- New: Monkey's Audio (.ape) and Musepack (.mpc) tag support.
- New: Apple Lossless (ALAC) support for Windows Media Player 12, allowing
Apple Lossless .m4a files to be added to the Music section of the media
library. Before this, Apple Lossless files were always added to Other
media by Windows Media Player 12. Special thanks to John Lockwood for
(Note: Apple Lossless is still supported on older Windows Media Player
- New: Refresh song tags function. WMP Tag Plus can scan the library
for untagged songs of the newly supported formats and re-add these songs
to the library to refresh their tags, freeing the user from having to do this manually. This scan can
be initiated from settings, but will also run once after a clean install
of the plug-in.
- If the WMP Tag Plus plug-in is disabled, it will now show a warning
at Windows Media Player startup, to prevent untagged songs in the
library and tag changes not getting saved to file. This warning can
turned off again easily.
- MPEG-4 tag support now reads/writes the Publisher, Data provider and
Date created tags as well. This is done using the
same format as the native MPEG-4 tag support in Windows 7 and
later. Special thanks to ErikSka for reverse engineering this format and
for providing the necessary code.
- Fixed: when a song was started on Windows Media Player 12 before WMP
Tag Plus had loaded, the tag support for that song's format was not
functional until after a Windows Media Player restart.
- Fixed: on Windows Media Player 12, it was possible that changes in
file extension and tag format settings only took effect after restarting
Windows Media Player.
- Fixed: changes in the plug-in's settings possibly didn't get saved
when the user hadn't switched to the Formats tab.
- Fixed: MPEG-4 tag support wasn't compatible with filenames
containing Unicode characters.
- Fixed: the Beats per minute (BPM) tag didn't get read or written.
- Fixed: WMP Tag Plus always tried to show its settings window on the
first Windows Media Player run after install, even when Windows Media
Player was running invisibly in the background (such as is the case with
Windows Media Center). This also caused 'unauthorized window' errors in
the event log while using a Windows Media Center Extender. Special
thanks to schottjy for reporting and for testing the fix.
- Preliminary support for Windows Media Player 12 on Windows 8.
- Updated the included TagLib library to
- Updated the included MP4v2 library to revision 483.
(February 12, 2010)
- Fixed: possible crash while accessing the file properties of a media
file from within Windows Media Player 11.
(November 7, 2009)
WMP Tag Plus failed to correctly write tag changes to certain FLAC files.
Updated the included TagLib to
version 1.6.1, which fixes some other small bugs.
(October 22, 2009)